EPD Mission, Vision, and Guiding Principles
Our mission is:
The Environmental Protection Division (EPD) protects and restores
Georgia’s environment. We take the lead in ensuring clean
air, water and land. With our partners, we pursue a sustainable
environment that provides a foundation for a vibrant economy
and healthy communities.
Our vision is:
Georgia’s environment is healthy and sustainable. Natural resources are protected and managed to meet the needs of current and future generations.
All Georgians understand the importance of a healthy and sustainable environment and act to protect and restore it.
EPD is responsive, effective and efficient. Associates are valued and empowered to use their expertise and creativity as leaders in protecting Georgia’s environment.
In fulfilling our mission and vision, in concert with the mission and vision of the Department of Natural Resources, EPD adheres to the following principles to guide our decisions and conduct:
- EPD serves the public by implementing state laws, rules, and policies to protect human health and the environment.
- EPD applies and enforces environmental laws and standards in a consistent, fair, and timely manner.
- EPD is proactive and results-oriented, and helps develop new approaches to meet Georgia’s environmental challenges.
- Georgians have a right to and a responsibility for a healthy environment and the conservation of our natural resources.
- Georgia’s environment consists of diverse ecosystems
of interrelated and interdependent components, including people,
plants, animals and their habitats, as well as air, water, and
- Environmental stewardship, protection of human health, and economic vitality are compatible and mutually beneficial goals.
- Effective environmental policy and management requires the use of comprehensive scientific and technical information to support clear, practical, well-documented, and timely decisions.
- External consultation, collaboration, and public involvement are essential to the development and implementation of effective policy.
- Education and understanding of environmental issues enables Georgians to become better environmental stewards.
- Communication and collaboration throughout EPD are priorities for accomplishing our mission. We conduct ourselves with honesty, integrity and professionalism; work as a team; and treat our fellow citizens and colleagues with respect.
EPD Structure and Purpose